header

header

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Making Every Day Count

I've been reminded lately of the newness of each day. Every morning
we are given a fresh new 24 hours. What will we do with a fresh new day?
It's another chance to make it count. A blog friend posted a question
she had been dealing with about what she was
doing to further God's Kingdom.
Another friend replied that she wasn't sure she was doing too much herself.
But I think loving your kids, your grandkids, your spouse, your neighbor...
making the world a better place...these are all things that let God's love
shine through. Promoting peace and love, forgiveness and friendship...
those are the things that make each day count. Even in doing the mundane
things of daily life...we are caring for our families...
and that is pleasing to God.
We give them nuturing homes in which to thrive.
So, what did you do today? Did you show love and peace or did you waste it
on bitterness and anger? Our sermon in church
Sunday spoke about the greatest
commandment of Loving Your Neighbor as Yourself. It was pointed out that
this doesn't mean an absence of wrongdoing,
but an active response of love to
others. And it's not difficult, is it? It's hardly any
effort to give someone a smile
or to show someone you care.
Wow...so much good to do and so little time, huh!?
And you know what I've found...you try to encourage someone
and you end up receiving a blessing yourself.
It's a win-win situation!
~~~~
"Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love.
Where there is injury, pardon.
Where there is doubt, faith.
Where there is darkness, light.
Where there is sadness, joy."
~~St. Francis of Assisi

17 comments:

  1. It is a win-win situation. And St. Francis certainly got it right!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Betsy! Very well stated and a timely reminder for me. He places us where He wants us, and will use us if we're willing and obedient.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely a win-win. Nicely put.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Betsy you are right and I try to live by that rule.
    Hugs~~~~Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is my favorite prayer, Betsy.

    To leave the world a better place by even a small measure is the best goal.

    Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with you here Betsy (yet again):

    "But I think loving your kids, your grandkids, your spouse, your neighbor...making the world a better place...these are all things that let God's loveshine through. Promoting peace and love, forgiveness and friendship...
    those are the things that make each day count. "
    -very true indeed.

    I have a friend who says her ministry right now is her family and I so respect her for that. the fruit in her kids and husband's life shows. What an inspiration she remains to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the beginning of a new day, the promise it holds. I try very hard to find pleasure in small things and in the love of my family and friends. Eventually, that is what makes our time here worth our while.
    Very beautiful post.;)
    Have a great Friday.;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a good reminder Betsy. Thank you for that today...one of those days where I am doing the mundane chores for the hundredth time...yet they must be done...I do them for my family!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww, I read that with tears in my eyes. Recently someone asked me to submit a brief bio. I was reading other peoples', and they sounded so impressive. I felt like, what have I done? Not much, in the world's eyes. Thank you for the perspective change ...
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great Post my friend...how true. Have a great weekend.. Strider

    ReplyDelete
  11. Strider...I miss you! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that quote by St. Francis of Assisi! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Betsy. You preach a pretty good sermon yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "we are given a fresh new 24 hours"
    I love that! Thanks for sharing the wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, I did a little study on my own a few years ago, because everyone was so filled with anxiety thinking they were never doing enough for God. Sounds like a noble thing, but I think it is a trick of satan. The things God tells (commands!) us to do in the Bible are the simple, loving servant type things that anyone with a family and friends could do on a daily basis. If we are ever called to do a "big" thing, we will be better equipped if we've been faithfully doing the "small" things anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rosezilla ~ you are so right...I completely agree! When Christ was asked what the greatest commandments were, they were ALL about love..loving God and loving your neighbor. I think we really miss the boat most of the time!

    ReplyDelete

I'm serving coffee! Stay and chat!
And no awards, please! Your comments are my awards!