header

header

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A Puzzle

Sometimes when I check on my sleeping boys
before I go to bed, I linger a while ~ praying
and crying over them. Autism is such
a challenging thing. Whoever chose a puzzle
piece to represent the disorder was exactly
right. And yet finding a cure for your
child is like a 10,000 piece puzzle
all of the same color, with a few thousand
fake pieces thrown in just for frustration.
I'm overwhelmed when I think that each of
my three boys has a different puzzle.
And yet, how frustrating to them to be
trapped in their world. So much potential
that can't break through. The responsibility
of finding treatments and help for them is
enormous. Extended family is local
and yet distant at the same time. And yet
I can't force anyone to be involved in their
lives. I think autism has completely
changed the way I look at life. There
is no room for pettiness. There is no
room for grudges. There is no room for
unkindness. There are more important
things to tend to. God, give me the
wisdom and strength for today ~ for
my triplets, for my other son and
husband. Let your love shine
through me in all that I do.
Guide and direct our family and
provide our needs.
Amen.

11 comments:

  1. That is the sweetest picture ever!

    Your grace, peace, beauty and strength amaze me.

    I love you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post! I understand and could've written this myself. I pray that God grants your wishes. (((Hugs)))

    Oh, that is also a beautiful picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your humility and endurance amaze me. Although I am a distant relative with little to offer, I still love you and wish I could help in some fashion. I agree; we as humans so often overlook the true essence of life. The older I get, the wider the gray area becomes. This doesn't diminish my faith, but only demonstrates what little I have control over and increases my desire to live what life He has given me to the fullest.
    Keep up the great blog. I'm so proud of my sweet nieces!
    Love,
    Uncle Tom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brandy ~ thank you! I know you have similar wishes. I'm praying for you and your little guy today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tom ~ you sweetie! Thanks for commenting. A word of encouragement goes a long way and I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the few positives to having a child on the spectrum is the commonality and immediate bond you find yourself sharing with other parents...and it also amazes me how above and beyond our group is willing to go...what is the verse about what we bind on earth will be bound in Heaven...?? i am imagining the beauty and splendor of the jewels in your crown!! the prayers of a mother's heart are so fervant...HE never fails...be blessed...my prayers now include your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are one of my heroes.

    "There is no room for pettiness. There is no room for grudges. There is no room for unkindness. There are more important things to tend to. God, give me the wisdom and strength for today...."

    I needed to read that today. So true for each of us regardless of the circumstances we face.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi granola ~ yes, you are right. I haven't met too many other moms, but we do have an immediate bond.
    Your comments are so nice. I love reading your blog. Your kids are adorable. :)

    Jen ~ We are going to have a great time blogging and encouraging each other!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My son has autism as well and I would not change a thing. He is an amazing child with so many talents and gifts. He has accomplished every task put before him and has come through shining like a bright star. He started his school years with a 2 1/2 year deficite, today in 8th grade he is ranked 4th in his class and is taking advanced classes. More importantly he has many friends, he is musical, he is a reader at church, repredented his class in front of the House of Rep in Jeff City, extreamly creative, and a computer wiz kid. We should all have the privledge of having special children in our lives. Just wait until your puzle pieces start to come together, it is an amazing thing to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. anonymous ~ thanks for commenting. Your son sounds wonderful. I'd love to know what treatments worked for you over the years ~ what puzzple pieces you found!
    ~~Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can totally relate to the extended family being close yet distant at the same time

    ReplyDelete

I'm serving coffee! Stay and chat!
And no awards, please! Your comments are my awards!