I read a really fun article about sleep on stumbleupon.com
and thought I'd share some facts I found interesting.
Slate snuggled down in our bed.
The master bedroom bed is always the most snugly, isn't it?
- Every mammal, bird, even fish, require sleep to function.
- While you sleep, your cells repair themselves, your brain recharges and your body releases important hormones. (I guess this is why you feel like a zombie when you are sleep deprived!)
- Babies require 16 hours of sleep a day, children 3-18 years old require 10 hours, adults 18- 55 years old require 8 hours. If you're over 65 years old, your body only needs 6 hours a day!
- Men have dreams about other men 70% of the time. Women dream about men and women equally.
- Parasomnia is a type of sleep disorder where you do things while sleeping which are criminal, such as driving, committing murder and writing bad checks.
- 12% of people dream only in black and white. The percentage used to be higher before there was color television!
- Dreaming is normal. People who don't dream usually have some kind of personality disorder.
- One in four married couples sleep in separate beds. (I wonder if this has something to do with snoring. ha.)
- British soldiers were the first to develop something to help stay awake 36 hours without sleep. When sleepy, they put on special visors that emulated the brightness of the sun and it woke them up. (I'm guessing the same theory applies in today's world with people looking at computer screens and reading Kindles before bed and having a hard time sleeping after looking at the light.)
- Koalas sleep the longest of any mammals, 22 hours a day. Giraffes sleep the least. Only 1.9 hours a day in 5-10 minute increments. (Sounds like moms of newborns to me!)
- When dolphins sleep, half their brain shuts down. The other half stays awake to help with breathing cycles. (reminds me of mother's of autistic children. We sleep with one eye open! ha.)
- You'll die from sleep deprivation before food deprivation! You'll die from starvation in 2 weeks but just 10 days without sleep can kill you.
- Within 5 minutes of waking up, 50% of your dream is forgotten. Your dream is 90% forgotten in just 10 minutes. (Don't you hate that? I always tell myself to remember a dream in the middle of the night, but rarely do I remember it in the morning!)
- 1 out of 50 teenagers still wet the bed.
And there you have it!