header

header

Monday, April 27, 2009

Let Them Fly!

addressing the open house invitations
Watching your child growing up is an amazing experience. I have found myself thinking a lot about Taylor, my oldest, this year. Somewhat sentimental, somewhat fearful, but always in prayer and in awe. Those of you with grown children know exactly what I'm talking about! And those of you with little ones will know all too soon!
~~~~
Being a senior in high school just seems to bring all those thoughts together. You know that your years of teaching are coming to a close and now it's time to let them fly and trust that what you have taught by word and example has made an impression. Well, I had a very clear affirmation of that recently!
~~~~
We've taught Taylor that if there is some kind of tension between people, it is always best to talk it out. To leave the situation unresolved and avoid confrontation is wrong and it creates a barrier that is unhealthy. Many adults have a difficult time doing this! And I've been guilty of it myself! It's crazy to avoid people or worse, act to their faces like everything is fine when both sides know that it is not.
~~~~
Well, Taylor found out that an older couple was offended by him. It wasn't a one time thing, but an ongoing problem, they said, although no specific circumstances could be given. Taylor drove himself to visit them, without our knowledge, and told them he wanted to talk about what they had said.
~~~~
Although the visit didn't seem to help the situation, (they denied the complaint, and said that Taylor had 'wasted their valuable time'), it was an affirmation to me and The Mister that he wants to do the right thing, even if it may be uncomfortable. I think he displayed a lot of maturity and wisdom. In those moments when he came home and told us what he had done, I thought... "Yes, he is going to be just fine as he prepares to leave this nest!"

21 comments:

  1. betsy moments like the one you described are such an affirmation to you as a mom & the mister.
    ...
    he will be fine
    ...
    fly indeed
    ...
    elk

    ReplyDelete
  2. That did take a lot of maturity and wisdom to stand up and do the right thing. Good for Taylor. Yes, he will fly like an eagle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing Son! Moments like that are very tough on most everyone. I find it hard to believe that Taylor could be offensive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must be so proud of your son. This must be one of the rewarding moments in time, when you know he is made of the right stuff. And so are you, his parents.
    A truly beautiful post.;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Taylor displayed more maturity and and integrity than the other party. What an honorable young man you have raised.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a good thing you've taught Taylor, and I'm sure indeed that he did the right thing and went over to make amends even if the couple didn't want to acknowledge his efforts in doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jammmie ~ thanks for visiting...and if you read this...the comments on your new blog aren't working!

    ReplyDelete
  8. MG ~ thank you! Glossy black and white...I'm very pleased with them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful story! Yep, he's going to be alright.
    I also enjoyed reading the post about Alex's shopping adventure. That was heartwarming too! I love the part where he left the basket rolling when he got to the car. We all have our priorities.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for him, that took a lot of courage. I'm sorry it didn't work out better, but we are only responsible for our own actions, after all, and now he can let it go since he knows he did the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. He will be JUST FINE!

    AND, I am disgusted with this older couple!! UGH! Taylor did as he was taught...he HAS been LISTENING!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You should be so proud of Taylor - what an exemplary young man! I'm sure it does seem like time flies ... I feel that way already! I just LOVE your open house invites!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stop by and pick up your awards Betsy.....you deserve them....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job Mom & Dad. Perhaps he also learned another of life's lessons... people don't admit they are at fault. I'm so proud of your son too! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fly? I keep pushing down my kids heads in hopes that they will shrink and stay young for a while longer. It's not working! :0 Thanks for this reminder. You are an awesome mom and one that I look up to so much. I am proud of Taylor for his maturity.

    ReplyDelete
  16. He sounds like a good boy that was taught well, Betsy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. sounds like you've raised an amazing young man. i know you're proud. he's ready to fly indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Betsy,

    What courage and maturity Taylor has shown! What a fine young man you and the Mister have raised up.

    "I have no greater joy than to know that my children are walking in truth." ~3 John 1:4

    All Best Wishes and Prayers for Taylor (and Mom and Dad) as he takes wing...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks all ~ you would be even MORE disgusted if you knew how this couple was related to Taylor! But they will have to answer for their behavior some day...and there is plenty of behavior to be answered for!

    ReplyDelete

I'm serving coffee! Stay and chat!
And no awards, please! Your comments are my awards!