header

header

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Fun Bird Facts/Quiz Part One ~ The Answers!

IF YOU WANT TO TAKE THE QUIZ, DON'T LOOK...JUST GO BACK TO
THE NEXT ENTRY BELOW.
IF YOU ARE READY FOR THE ANSWERS, READ ON!
1. What bird can fly but can't walk? A hummingbird has to fly if it wants to move an inch.
Its feet are only strong enough for perching.
Aren't they sweet? I love their long beaks!
~~~~~
2. What bird kills snakes for dinner? This would be the Secretary bird,
another name for the bird is "serpent eagle."
That is because it just loves snakes--for dinner, that is.
When it finds one it either kills it with a powerful kick
or seizes it with its claws and strikes it
on the back of the neck with its beak.
It may use beak, wings and feet to kill a large snake.
It uses its wings as shields to keep from being bitten.
These birds have been known to kill snakes up to four ft long
but their main food is small mammals and insects.
Secretary birds live in South Africa.
This one could almost be Jane Hathaway
from the Beverly Hillbillies!
But she wasn't so mean as this.
I think the one in the photo looks quite chic
in her black walking shorts and gray blazer!
She looks like she has a real attitude!
Don't mess with her!
~~~~
3. What bird sometimes takes steps twenty-five feet long? An ostrich can run faster than most horses.
A large ostrich will sometimes take steps twenty-five feet long!
That face! Oh my...one only a mother could love??
You can't help but laugh!
Bachelor thought it was a pic of him!
~~~~
4. What bird can pinpoint the direction from which a sound is coming? Owls' ears are special. They are simply holes in the side of the head, protected by a flap of skin and hidden by the feathers. One of the owls' ear openings points upward and the other downward. This enables the owl to pinpoint the direction of a sound. The owl's face has a ring of stiff curved feathers around it from which the sound waves bounce into the ear drums. This Snowy Owl is probably my favorite wild bird. I would have one for a pet if I could! Or maybe Willow could find a taxidermy one for me! :)
5. What bird flies non-stop over thousands of miles of open ocean?
Golden Plover! These birds, no larger than a pigeon,
nest near the Arctic Circle. In the fall some of them fly along
the west coasts of North and South America.
They fly from their home in the north to Hawaii
or the Polynesian islands. They must fly without food
or rest over thousands of miles of open water
and land on islands that seem like little dots in the vast ocean.
Amazing!

8 comments:

  1. Wow, I got them all right, but then I checked my answers and saw that I had transposed ostrich and owl. Hmmmmmm

    Interesting post and questions, Betsy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH now wait a minute...I just checked the order of the questions and your order of the answers does not match 3 and 4, or something like that.....pfffffttt I'm all confused now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lavinia ~ you got them right! So did Annonymous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a fun and interesting quiz Betsy! I didn't know any of those facts.

    I love watching the birds that come to my birdfeeder although they are mainly plain sparrows.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to have a beautiful taxidermy owl for my collection, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Birds are amazing creatures with wings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Betsy...very interesing...I love any kind of bird...so a really fun post for me...

    ReplyDelete

I'm serving coffee! Stay and chat!
And no awards, please! Your comments are my awards!