header

header

Monday, May 20, 2019

Northern Wren



I believe this is a Northern Wren.  Tiny little thing and oh so loud!

I took this picture this morning through my kitchen window.  He's been nest
building all over the yard and this little house is one of his picks!
For those of you who may not know, the male wren
will build 3-4 nests all on his own even before meeting 
his lady!  Then he will call and call for as long as it takes!

Once she shows up, he changes his calling to a romantic,
soft song and takes her around to all the nests he has made.
She gets to choose which ever nest she likes!
After she chooses, she starts tearing it apart
and then the two of them rebuild it together!

What a man, huh, to put up with all of that!?
Just after reading all of these facts a few years ago,
I got to witness it right in my own yard.
That obnoxious call that had been going on for days
suddenly turned into the sweetest little cooing!
I couldn't believe it was the same bird!

I'm so happy that we get to watch another romance.
Hope the lady picks this spot so we get to see babies right
outside the window!  I'll keep you posted!


19 comments:

  1. A true and wonderfully complicated love story, just like humans, ummm, almost! Good to hear from you my friend, I think of you often, hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, complicated and very much like humans. Have to laugh every time I tell someone the story. haha. Thanks for stopping by. xxoo

      Delete
  2. Geez, that's a lot of work. If I had to build three houses I'd be in the poor house. Would that be 4?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of work indeed. Energizer Bunny has nothing on him!

      Delete
  3. Glad you're not a wren . . lol
    I just wouldn't put up with it . . lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Officially known as a House Wren (Troglodytes aedon). Yeah, they're super loud. And hard to spot when they're out in the woods because they're so small. You can hear that yodel, but can't see what's making all the racket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true! Smallest wren I've ever seen and really hard to spot in a tree! Great to see you here, Roy!

      Delete
  5. I miss my wrens at my old place. I don’t think I have one in the area of the new place. I finally am seeing a hummingbird at the feeder which makes me happy. Your house with wren is a neat photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the wrens will find you at your new house!

      Delete
  6. I was so happy to see our male wren return and start building his nest a few weeks ago. He was a messy housekeeper when he was starting to build/ :) But it is all neat and tidy now. And I'm not being wakened by his trill in the mornings now. I am hopeful of watching the family. I love the shot you captured of your wren.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well having the same wren return is amazing! Hope you get to see the family as it grows!

      Delete
  7. Hi Betsy - how delightful ... gorgeous - I've seen them around here ... but as they dash around, not nesting so closely ... usually hidden in hedges. I do hope your 'family' give you a few chicks and some amusement as they hatch and wobble before flying ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do dash around, that is true...so fast it's hard to capture a photo!

      Delete
  8. Aw, You know I would build a couple of houses for you even though you might knock them down . . . :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol...I think your first reaction is probably the most true! But I have no doubt your house building skills would be on point!

      Delete
    2. lol . . . Would you build another house with me, or argue about location and whether it is close enough to the best pedicurist . . . ROFL

      Delete

I'm serving coffee! Stay and chat!
And no awards, please! Your comments are my awards!