header

header

Friday, January 20, 2017

Home


Well, today was kind of a roller coaster with Tiger.
He hadn't been well for several days and I thought something
was wrong in his mouth since he had trouble eating
and then gave up entirely.  I thought I saw something under
his tongue and after reading a lot of doom and gloom online,
I feared oral cancer and even had resigned myself overnight
to saying goodbye to him today.

Well, the vet took a look and his mouth was fine except for
a bad tooth way in the back.  He missed it the first two
looks but finally found it.  What a relief.  A tooth is an easy fix!
I left him there with plans to pick him up a few hours later.

However, they called with some bad news with his blood work.
Feline leukemia. That was a shock!  The cats had their
vaccines back when they were spayed and neutered
at a different place where I was told that FL was practically
nonexistent now and rarely seen and that it wasn't
among the necessary vaccinations.  Obviously they were
wrong.  The vet said that they could have contracted it
 very early in their lives.  I remember 30 years ago with
 my first cat hearing how fatal FL was, and how contagious!
So I was particularly concerned with the contagious part!

But after talking through some things on the phone, it was 
suggested that letting him come home wasn't introducing a 
new virus.  After all, these cats have lived together for almost
six years.  And I was told that it isn't necessarily the death
 sentence it once was.  Tiger is young and otherwise healthy
and would probably do very well with a daily immune booster.
 So we are going to have the other cats tested, vaccinate
the ones that don't have it, and go from there.

He's not out of the woods, yet.  How he recovers
this next week will tell a lot.  But for now, he's going to
sleep off his anesthesia here on my lap.
Thanks for thinking of us today.  I'll keep you posted.


39 comments:

  1. Let's keep hoping that the treatment will work. Poor Tiger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...let's keep hoping! But I'm not one to prolong suffering at all so I hope
      either way the decision is very clear! Thanks, Keith. :)

      Delete
  2. Aw... poor fella. But he's absolutely right about FL not being a death sentence. I know of several people who had cats that lived a very long time with it. Fingers... and paws... crossed. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is so good to know! Thanks for sharing that. I'm already looking at supplements good for boosting their health. He said he could put him on a steroid that would help, if needed. So, we shall see.

      Delete
  3. Yes FL is manageable, and not as lethal as once was.
    I'd say he'll bounce back with your TLC....
    He's a sweet boy !
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm trying my best....still forcing liquids today. I'd say he's still
      not out of the woods but I'll keep at it!

      Delete
  4. I'm so happy Tiger is doing well after his day. Glad to know the FL is treatable now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's an extra hug or two for you and Tiger too. I'm glad it is considered treatable. I know he will thrive with your tender loving care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Betsy - that's the good and the bad news in one go ... wishing Tiger the best and you too ... long may he recover to better health ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...what an emotional day....being nurse today. :)

      Delete
  7. Oh no! Sorry to hear Betsy. And I thought he was all good after we talked over IG :-( ... but true that the medicine is in orogress and what once used to be uncurable can be treated nowadays ... keeping my fingers crossed! Hugs, Jitka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...such a let down after all that relief. :( So sad.

      Delete
  8. I don't like it when people get sick and I hate it when animals get sick. They are like babies, almost, you can tell them they will get well if they take their pills or that they will feel better soon. It is like they know, "I got it, why aren't you doing anything about it?" I hope Tiger does pull through this and is back in his luxury lap sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...it's awful. The weight of responsibility for them is heavy. :(

      Delete
  9. Poor guy, hopefully the treatment can work and none of the others have it.
    The internet is so full of umm spit
    Tells you all kinds of crap it can be
    Best to try a vet first than worry at ones sea
    Things have come a long way in treatment though
    So hopefully he'll be fine and away he can go to and fro
    Good luck catching the rest too
    I'm sure many will hate the carrier coming due

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I can't even think about that yet.
      They will all be mad, I bet.
      Gotta get through the next few days.
      Trying to feed this cat in several ways. :(

      Delete
  10. I thought FL was fatal. Thank goodness it is no longer so.
    I am sure no-one on Earth can give Tiger better TLC than you will give, Almost worth getting FL for that . . ;)
    Hope he gets completely out of the woods soon . . . :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fatal...no cure at all. But it can be managed if the cat is otherwise healthy.
      Tiger might be too far into it for a good outcome...the next few days will tell.

      Delete
  11. Here's hoping your cat family all lives long and prospers :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. We once had a cat that had gotten rubber band tangled into its teeth. It was loosing weight and we didn't know what was wrong. I feel so badly for your cat. I know he will have the best of special care from here on out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my...that is really something! You just never know!

      Delete
  13. Best of everything, with all your pets.

    So happy it wasn't as bad, as you had yourself expecting. But hard enough, of course.

    We haven't had a kitty, since our last one. So I am not up on all the shots and possibilities. But I do remember how hard it was, to have one sick.

    Gentle hugs and blessings,
    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad he's at home and resting, but sorry he's not out of the woods by any means. Hadn't heard that FL is treatable. Hope they can do something for him.

    Tried texting you last night to see how he and you were...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's been slow going today with dropper-fulls of liquids. Got your text last night...sorry for not responding. I had just typed out this post and didn't feel like pecking it out all again on my phone. And I figured you weren't near a computer. :)

      Delete
    2. No problem, I don't blame you if you were a bit drained. And no, I wasn't near a computer.

      Delete
  15. Betsy, you are the best cat momma in the whole wide world. My pet prayers are with Tiger today and you, as I know how awful we feel when a family pet is not feeling good, and has a bad diagnosis. Love and hugs to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so sorry about your sick kitty. I hope he can be helped. Hope too that the others will be ok. I haven't heard of a kitty with this in a long time. Hugs and prayers for you and your kitty brood. Taria

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh dear...poor little guy...best of luck!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am glad there are some positive options. Hoping Tiger is feeling much better by today. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete

I'm serving coffee! Stay and chat!
And no awards, please! Your comments are my awards!