header

header

Friday, May 26, 2017

Auction Stories


I saw a few pretty little original pieces of art at the auction
 this week and I was fortunate enough to get to bring
three of them home with me!

This one is a water color and I just love the
sweetness of that little cottage, picket fence and the
muted colors!  After the auction, a guy came up to
me and told me that his great grandmother painted it.
Helen Bell Ralph (1866-1938) was a Daughter of The
American Revolution.  He said that her paintings
were almost exclusively done in the 1800's and
that I should be able to find a signature on the back,
usually in pencil.  He said that he had a dozen of
her paintings and this one that I got was the last one
hanging in her home and it ended up in the auction.
Makes me think it was one of her favorites since
she kept it for herself!

It's always fun to know something about these pieces!
I can't wait to open it up, find that signature, clean up
the glass and hang it in our home.  So fun!

I'll be taking a little blogging break until next week!
We're off on a great adventure 
for the holiday weekend!
Hope you all have a good Memorial Day weekend!
Don't forget to remember all those that gave
their lives to give us our free country.
God bless the USA!


27 comments:

  1. Great find! I love leaving social media behind.....enjoy your time away ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anita! I'm sure it will be a good time!

      Delete
  2. Oh my...what a treasure! There is something about original paintings that just melts my heart. This one of yours is so sweet! I could stand and look at it for hours...yeah, I'm weird like that. But I think that is what it is when you find a piece that the artist's heart is right there before you. Kind of like a good book that stands the test of time, 'ya know?

    Have a great weekend, Betsy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it sweet? Wait til you see my other one. Had to have it, too! It's mostly gray. Lol....

      Delete
  3. hey Betsy, Glad you saved that pretty painting and learned the story. Good ending. Have a grand adventure. Always good to get to hug your kiddos, no matter their age. Enjoy yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! We haven't seen Lauren since Christmas!

      Delete
  4. Hi Betsy - how lovely and how quite delightful you know something of its provenance. Have the most amazing and wonderful trip and enjoy yourselves ... I shall be thinking of you ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Really looking forward to it. Who doesn't love a good road trip? Haha.....although that many hours packed in a jeep with the guys can be quite an adventure!

      Delete
  5. Most beautiful, Betsy. What a great find and so good that the guy told you about it's history. Reading between the the lines I would think he is pleased it is going to a good home. It will look great hanging up in your home ~ something special, for a vefry special lady. . . . :)

    Have a wonderful break, but don't stay away too long . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE that old painting... and, even more, that you know the "story" behind it! I hope your adventure is WONDERFUL!! Safe travels. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neat when you find out the story
    She must have kept that one in all it's glory
    Enjoy the grand adventure at your sea
    Hopefully lots of family fun comes to be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll use up patience a ton
      As we have some family fun! Ha.

      Delete
  8. This is a treasure. It's one of those things a person leaves behind that means something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly...and I love that it was hanging in her home!

      Delete
  9. Hope you have a safe trip and a great time once you get there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How nice that you could learn about the artist.

    Hope all goes relatively smoothly on your trip and that you have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...I love that the guy told me about the history...so fun!

      Delete
  11. It's pretty and all the more special for knowing the story behind it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree...means even more now! Still need to clean it up and hang it...can't wait!

      Delete
  12. So pretty... I could look at it over and over. Great find!
    Safe travels. It will be great to see the big kids and enjoy their new home. I bet they're excited that you're coming. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know....there's a lot of detail in that tiny painting!

      Delete
  13. What a treasure you found. I like that you got to know the history of it too. It will be beautiful in your home. Enjoy your holiday trip. It's always fun to get away.

    ReplyDelete

I'm serving coffee! Stay and chat!
And no awards, please! Your comments are my awards!